The Second Congressional Commission on Education (EDCOM 2), in collaboration with the University of the Philippines, opened applications for the UP President Edgardo J. Angara Fellowship (UPPEJA) today, June 21, 2023.
The Fellowship will award P500,000 for each of the 20 spots that are open for applications. The UPPEJA Fellowship Committee will screen and vet the applications, and the fellows will be announced on July 26, 2023.
The Fellowship slots correspond to the 20 research questions listed on EDCOM 2’s website. These questions include:
- Which areas of the country continue to suffer from poor access to educational facilities, and/or have severe problems in congestion?
- How can CHED’s developmental and regulatory capacity be strengthened to ensure quality programs and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)?
- What are the motivations of learners in pursuing graduate education or upskilling via microcredentials?
- What are examples of complementarity that work well in countries with significant private provision of education similar to the Philippines?
- What are the financing strategies, policies, and instruments (e.g. GAA, SEF, loans, vouchers, grants) that result in more resources for education, better outcomes, and cost-effectiveness, both in the short-term and long-term?
- Given existing policies/programs in the Philippines and the experience of other countries, what different pathways to work and life might be considered for the Philippine education system?
The full list of research questions, and more details about the Fellowship are listed on EDCOM 2’s website: www.edcom2.gov.ph/uppeja
The UPPEJA Fellowship aims to promote high-level policy discussions and research on a wide range of topics that address national development goals and imperatives such as science and technology, economic development, environment and climate change, good governance, and communications.
The Fellowship is open to all interested and qualified faculty, lectures, professors emeriti, and researchers both in the Philippines and overseas. Among the responsibilities of the fellows will include presenting their research output, holding lectures, workshops and seminars, and engaging other scholars, policymakers, and the business community to stimulate discussions on pressing national issues.
Past awardees of the fellowship include Raul V. Fabella (2011), Raul P. Pangalangan (2011), Ramon Pedro Paterno (2011), Gerardo P. Sicat (2011), Herman Joseph Kraft (2013), Clarissa C. David (2015), Stella Luz A. Quimbo (2015), Caesar A. Saloma (2015), Lucia P. Tangi (2015), and Aileen San Pablo Baviera (2015).Interested applicants should send an email to [email protected], together with their 1) Cover Letter specifying the specific research question they wish to address, 2) latest Curriculum Vitae, and 3) 350-500-word extended Abstract of their proposed paper.
The deadline for applications is July 7, 2023.