The Second Congressional Commission on Education (EDCOM 2) opens a call for consultations for two of its Priority Areas today, June 16, 2023.
Under the “Nutrition and Feeding” Priority Area, EDCOM posed the following issues under consideration, with relevant questions for feedback:
Issue #1: Challenges in governance, implementation, and resourcing of health and nutrition programs
- What is the quality of implementation of health and nutrition programs targeting children ages 0-4?
- Is there a targeted allocation of resources vis-à-vis the needs of children and mothers?
- Are there inequities in the availability of feeding programs according to municipality class, level of food security in the area, etc.?
Issue #2: Aligning incentives to address challenges
- How can existing incentives (4Ps) be better aligned/implemented to target malnutrition problems and ECCD participation?
- What is the quality of check-ups received in health centers/RHUs?
Under its “Curriculum and Instruction” Priority Area, the Commission asks the public to contribute to the following issues:
Issue #1: Language of instruction
- How is MTB-MLE done in areas with several mother tongues in a classroom (e.g., in CAR and Region 5, where there are several MTs)? What is the availability of storybooks, textbooks, and other teaching-learning materials in the different MTs in these areas?
- How widespread is the use of Tagalog/Filipino among students? Is the impression that almost all younger Filipinos know and use Tagalog/Filipino as a spoken language accurate?
- Is the new curriculum decongested? Does it encourage flexibility and innovation? Does it address the issues related to “ spiral progression” adequately?
Issue #2: Validation of the revised K to 10 (eventually, 11 and 12) curriculum towards decongestion, flexibility, and innovation, including a review of the spiral curriculum
- Can the teachers deliver the prescribed curriculum? How about teachers in multi-shift schools?
- How can instruction time be optimized to improve learning outcomes (e.g., schedule, modality)?
The new Green Papers have set August 10, 2023 as the deadline. The public and concerned stakeholders can take part by visiting www.edcom2.gov.ph/EduKonsultasyon.